A brake rotor is a part of a vehicle's braking system. Most brakes have a disc-shaped rotor mounted to each wheel, with a caliper and a pad that squeezes the rotor when the driver presses the brake pedal.
Here are the basics of brake rotor replacement on four-wheel vehicles.
The job can be done by any qualified mechanic and takes just a few minutes per side if the vehicle has just been parked.
In some cases, it takes longer if the rotor needs to be replaced, because the vehicle might require a shop trip.
On a rear-wheel-drive vehicle, the caliper and pad should be inspected and cleaned before a new rotor is installed.
The process is the same on front-wheel-drive vehicles. However, the rotors are replaceable without removing the calipers,
|Raybestos 680404R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor||Best Overall|
|DuraGo BR901100 Rear Solid Brake Rotor||Budget Pick|
|Power Stop K2070 Front & Rear Brake Kit||Upgrade Pick|
1. Raybestos 680404R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor
- Made from Raybestos’s proprietary blend of advanced ceramic particles.
This is one of the best disc brake pads you can find. The Raybestos 680404R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor has a top of the line ceramic composition giving it higher resistance to wear. The pad can last up to 50% longer than other less advanced pads.
The Raybestos 680404R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor also comes with a lifetime warranty. If you are looking for the best brake replacement, then look no further. The Raybestos 680404R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor is truly worth its weight in gold.
2. ACDelco 18A1705 Professional Front Disc Brake Rotor
- Perfect material that provides durability and performance
- 100% Professional materials
This is one of the best brake rotors that offers you not only durability but it also provides you with great performance.
It is easy to install and the work is professional. Many people found this rotors to be reliable and with great value compared to quality. People gave it a 4 out of 5 rating.
Some people found the calipers were made cheaply, but the ACDelco 18A1705 Professional Front Disc Brake Rotor is a good buy for people who are looking for top quality rotors and want them to be pretty affordable.
3. ACDelco 18A925A Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor
- Easy installation
- Works great
The ACDelco Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor is at the top of its class when it comes to brake rotors. It gives you a lot of value for your money.
This rotor is a direct fit for many makes and models of General Motors trucks. It also fits a number of other vehicles, but be sure to check the vehicle’s manual before you make the install.
When you buy the ACDelco Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor, you get a high-quality rotor that is made in the USA. It comes with all the necessary hardware and instructions to make the install.
4. Wagner BD125654E Premium E-Coated Brake Rotor
- Cuts down on dust
- Less brake noise
- Heavier than most brake rotors
- Comes with all the necessary components
- High quality
- Good value
- Nice appearance
- Squeaky in the first few months
- Braking distance is slightly increased over regular rotors
- Not suitable for heavy vehicles
If you are looking to upgrade your vehicle’s brakes with a durable, quality rotor, then look no further than the Wagner BD125654E.
This brake rotor has a higher resistance to rust and moisture than the majority of other rotors, so you won’t have to worry about discoloring or rusting over time. It also has a higher resistance to heat to withstand high temperatures and pressure during heavy braking.
Looking at the rotor, you’ll immediately notice that it’s bigger and heavier than your regular rotor. This is because it provides more stopping power than your typical rotor!
5. ACDelco 18A1627A Advantage Non-Coated Rear Disc Brake Rotor
- In Various Sizes
- Superb Quality
- Easy to Install
- A Great Fit
- Improves Your Braking
- Longer Lasting and More Stable
- Works With Many Vehicles
- Perfect For Many Applications
- Prone To Damage Less Than Other Rotors
6. ACDelco 18A917A Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor
- Wide range of fitments
- Firm, consistent stopping power
- Paint can chip
- Precise balancing of the rotors isn’t necessary
As long as you’re after a high-quality brake rotor that’s more affordable than what you’d get from other brands, I highly recommend this ACDelco rotor.
It’s easy to learn on its feet and provides some great stopping power. The reason I like this rotor so much is because it gives you everything you want while also coming in at a great price.
ACDelco makes it clear that this rotor is designed for light-duty vehicles. That said, you shouldn’t expect it to perform on par with some higher-end options. Keep it in mind that it has a rating of 660 grams to ensure you pick the right one for your vehicle.
7. ACDelco 18A934A Advantage Non-Coated Rear Disc Brake Rotor
- Comes with a lifetime warranty
- Heat treatment that is triple resistant to warping
- features Cobalt anti-corrosion coating that provides long-lasting protection from road salt and grime
- Maintains a rust-free and corrosion-free inner surface
- Great for both front and rear disc brakes
- Excellent for extreme temperatures although we recommend to rotate the rotors for a balanced wear
- Very affordable replacement parts
- Easy to install
- Affordable replacement costs
- Deep scratches might not be visible
- Gives a good look to your car
8. Raybestos 980629R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor
- It’s a professional grade disc brake rotor
- It’s made from high quality materials
- It has a great design
- It’s well made
- It’s easy to use
- It’s built to last
- It’s built for excellence
The Raybestos 980629R Professional grade disc brake rotor is made in the USA and is a high performance, professional grade disc brake rotor for pickup trucks, SUVs, and vans.
It is designed for hauling or towing with a gross combined weight rating of 10,000 lbs.
This product will withstand the daily abuse of hauling your boat, camper, or trailer, on/off road equipment, grain and liquid storage bins, trailers, race cars, and much more.
9. ACDelco 18A812A Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor
Many of the best brake rotors will say that they come with a warranty of up to 30,000”60,000 miles, but consider this: The ACDelco Advantage non-coated front disc brake rotor has a NO B.S.”100,000-mile warranty. That means you will get up to 15 years out of these brake rotors. That’s incredible.
Quick reminder: If you hear a squeaky sound from your brakes, they might be air locked. This is caused by too much air from the brakes bleeding into your rotors. You can fix this by filling the master cylinder with brake fluid or removing the brake fluid cap to loosen the air within the system.
10. ACDelco 18A2461A Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor
- Comes with a limited lifetime warranty
- Endorsed by Dodge
- Efficient material
- Standard size fitment
11. Power Stop K1970 Front Brake Kit
- "Easy to install"
- "Low cost"
- "Reduced noise"
- "Better stopping power"
- "Not for track use"
- "Reduced braking feel"
- "Zinc can attract moisture and rust"
The Power Stop kit for my car is the best brake rotors I’ve ever used. The installation is easy if you know how to do it, and it’s the best option if you need to replace your rotors and pads at the same time.
These rotors have a directional vane design that helps prevent brake dust accumulations. What’s brake dust accumulation? It’s gunk that accumulates on your pads and wheels, creating a thick mess that leads to poor braking.
Brake dust accumulation can also turn into a sticky mess that provides a home for brake squeal and rotor corrosion. The Power Stop kit delivers consistent friction on the entire rotor, which means stable, predictable braking, and it’s especially helpful in rainy or winter conditions.
12. Wagner BD126082E Premium E-Coated Brake Rotor
- Solid alloy with thick configuration
- Dual plating system keeps it rust-free
- Perfect for truck, ATV, or motorcycle
- Ideal for replacement of older worn-out rotors
- A little heavy for some users
- Can rust if exposed to water
The Wagner premium brake rotor is a great solid piece of metal that’s built to last.
You don’t have to worry about rusting or brake fade. Its dual plating system provides even wear to the brake rotor, which is a huge plus.
I also really like the fact that this can be used even in a heavy duty setting. It can be used in trucks, ATVs, and even motorcycles. It can be used for daily commuters.
13. Detroit Axle
14. Bosch 50011343 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor
- Quiet operation
- Less Vibration
- Long lasting
- Does not require any break-in period
- Easy to install and remove from the caliper
- Vibration-Free braking
- Rotor wears out quicker than other brands
- Small size prevents it from fitting a wide variety of cars
- Does not fit all cars
The Bosch QuietCast premium disc brake rotor offers superior performance to the OEM rotors that are a bit too noisy. It is made with advanced resin cast rotor featuring unique four-piston caliper holder. It is also a great choice for those who want to buy the rotors because it is easy to install and remove. It is also very quiet and will fit in the same place as a stock rotor. Note that the rotor may not fit cars that require a floating rotor.
Installation is super easy and will only take you a few minutes. If you don’t have the right tools, you can also purchase them at your local hardware store.
15. Raybestos 980161R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor
- One of the Highest Quality Brake Rotors
- Amazing Customer Service
- US and Canadian Manufactured
- Has a High Shipping Cost
- High Product Cost
- Not Available For All Vehicles
If your brakes are having trouble and you face issues like noise, vibration, or excessive drag, consider changing your brake rotors. These are the most effective ways to stop your vehicle in a shorter distance.
Raybestos brakes are among the best in the business, with prices to match. While the brand is famous for its brakes, they also make other products like shock absorbers and engine parts.
The Raybestos 980161R Professional Grade Disk Brake Rotor is a pretty big name. It’s a testament to Raybestos’s products that they spawn multiple imitators with similar names, such as Raybestos Brakes and Raybestos Performance.
16. Power Stop K2070 Front & Rear Brake Kit
- Kits very affordable
- good braking power
- Have a greater tendency to rust.
(Disc Brake Rotor and Pad Kit)
17. Detroit Axle
- Includes great pads
- Very affordable for a brake upgrade
- Packaged with great product accessories
- Requires no modifications for most vehicles
- Resin matrix hybrid ceramic pads can become warped over time
- Some drilling is required to install without snap-in install
- Pads may not be compatible with all rotors
- May require drilling to install
Yukon XL Denali Silverado Sierra 1500 Sierra 2500, GMC Sierra 1500 Sierra 2500, Buick Cadillac Chevrolet GMC.
For anyone looking for a great brake upgrade, you’re going to love the Detroit Axle kit.
This front and rear brake upgrade kit was designed to fit almost any Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, Pontiac, or Cadillac vehicle. The great thing about this kit is that it comes with great pad choices, which makes it easier for you to pick out exactly what you want for your vehicle.
18. Power Stop K2009 Front Brake Kit
- Knurled and Slotted Rotors
- Stoptech Brake Pads
- Ceramic Formula
- Requires More Initial Pedal Pressure
- More of a Racing Brake Kit
- Loud System At First
If you want to upgrade your braking systems then a brake kit is a great place to start.
The Power Stop K2009 is a great all around brake kit which has a very well-known name in the industry. It can be easily installed in your vehicle and doesn’t require a lot of setup while not being difficult to install either.
This Power Stop brake kit comes with slotted, drilled, and slotted 2-piece rotors. The slotted/drilled rotors have three small holes on each side which allows for air circulation to heat up the rotors as well as allow for water to be removed from the rotors when you drive through a large amount of water on the road.
19. Centric Parts 121.65071 C-Tek Standard Brake Rotor
- Very cheap
- Very durable
- Breaks in easily
20. Wagner BD126433E Premium E-Coated Brake Rotor
- Easy to maintain
- Does not require special tools
- The paint does not rust
- Very smooth and quiet
- High quality
- Great for both wet and dry weather
- Thick and durable
- Strong enough
- Does not have a thick oil coating
- Reasonable priced
This Wagner ultra-premium rotor has a cast iron core that is coated in high-hardness, electro-galvanized paint that is 100 percent rust-proof. The black coating is resistant against scratching and fading.
This allows the brake rotor to maintain a clean appearance for years to come.
The brake rotor is also coated with industrial-strength corrosion resistant coating. It will provide superior rust resistance for longer rotor life.
21. DuraGo BR901100 Rear Solid Brake Rotor
- Budget buy
- Great for anyone who rides frequently
- Last for more than 24 months
- Gets dirty easily
- Can cause scratches if you’re not careful when replacing it
If you’re riding your BMX bike quite often, make sure to upgrade your brakes to the DuraGo Brake Rotor. These rotors will make sure that you have to bend down less to stop.
The price is perfect for anyone who needs a whole new pair of rotors. I personally received them as a gift, and I’m very impressed so far.
The rotors are very sturdy, and they don’t bend easily, which is a big issue with most BMX brakes. The Rotor is also easy to install.
22. Raybestos 580279R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor
- Extra-long life
- For performance-driven vehicles
- Provides higher stopping with minimal noise
- Manufactured to exacting standards
- Offers reliable stopping
- Provides high resistance to corrosion
- For extreme duty
- Prevents corrosion on the surface
- For extreme duty vehicles
- May not be ideal for passenger cars or trucks
- High price might seem too much for some people
The Raybestos RA580279R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor is a high-end rotor that is an ideal upgrade for performance vehicles.
Its solid steel design and extra-long life will make a significant difference in the quality of your vehicles braking system.
The coating on the brake rotor can prevent corrosion or even stop it from occurring at all.
23. ACDelco 18A2332A Advantage Non-Coated Rear Disc Brake Rotor
- This is a wonderful product! It is reliable, easy to install, and reasonably priced.
It provides a smooth braking experience, which makes it worth buying. You won’t regret purchasing it.
I would recommend this product to anyone who is looking for a good brake rotor.
24. Bosch 50011478 QuietCast Premium Disc Brake Rotor
- Bosch QuietCast
- Best for wet conditions
- Resin Technology
- Not great for dry conditions
- Not good for snow or gravel roads
- Must be hand-washed
It will be hard to conquer the competition completely if you use the right brake rotor for your car. You can choose from the best brake rotor for your car but note that it is an important part of the car.
The competition has just become hotter with these brake rotors in the market, increasing the friction in the braking process. The manufacturers are working hard to come up with the best brake rotors to suit your needs.
25. Power Stop KOE3167 Autospecialty By Power Stop 1-Click Daily Driver Brake Kits Front Incl. 13.78 in. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Brake Pads Autospecialty By Power Stop 1-Click Daily Driver Brake Kits
Front Incl. 13.78 in. OE Replacement Rotors w/Z16 Ceramic Scorched Brake Pads
Power Stop’s brake kits deliver incredible braking power and performance in their every day products. This brake kit is the perfect match for your daily driver. The premium ceramic brake pads dissipate heat at a rate that is 20x better than traditional pads. With this kit you’ll receive everything you need to get the best out of your vehicle’s braking power.
26. ACDelco 18A2322A Advantage Non-Coated Front Disc Brake Rotor
- High-quality materials
- Cost efficient
- Cheaper materials than competitors
- Poor packaging
ACDelco’s Advantage Rotors are among the cheapest high-quality brakes rotors on the market for cars. They are distinguished by quality high-temperature seals and a hardened 13-bolt machined hub. What this means is this rotor will last a lot longer than a low-quality or cheap rotor.
Users say how impressive ACDelco is to use and are impressed with it’s functionality. Although some buyers were disappointed with the packaging, no one was greatly disappointed. This rotor is a great buy.
27. Centric 120.40046 Premium Brake Rotor Front
- Rotors should last for a long time
- Keeps the brake pads in great shape
- Great lubricant, but doesn’t get too messy
- Protects the car body
- Does not cause the car body to rust
- Easy installation
- The car body doesn’t get dirty
- Pull the rubber pieces back and bite your fingernails. Ouch!
- It is porous so it feels a little cheap
- Can be a little expensive
- The axles sometimes stick a little
- The brake pads tend to get stuck on them
The Centric premium brake rotors can totally change your car’s braking performance. It is a great thing to have when your wheels are rusted. The brake pads would wear out much faster if they didn’t have this installed beforehand.
The Centric brakes are made of steel, but the black ones are made of a thin and light aluminum. They are very cheap to purchase and will last for a long time.
They are great for your car if it needs to look fresh and exciting. They fit perfectly on the bottom of your wheels.
28. Raybestos 980636 Advanced Technology Disc Brake Rotor
- Great for everyday street driving
- Features endurashift dust, oil, and corrosion-resistant coating
- Basic and advanced coating packages available
- Features Raybestos patented Wave design
- Available in yellow zinc, Black zinc, or gray iron
- Professional installation recommended
- Some drivers complain about the roughness of the rotors (once grooved from use)
- Only available in three finishes
The Raybestos 980636 Advanced Technology Rotor is the top rotors on the market in terms of overall quality and performance. Raybestos has been making high quality brake components since the 1950s.
This is a one-piece rotor, which means fewer part interfaces for water and grit to hide in. It features a patented Wave design that provides smooth, quiet braking, which helps to keep rust and corrosion at bay. These rotor are well suited for street driving.
The Raybestos 980636 Advanced Technology Rotor includes a front high-temperature-fiberglass spider with U-grooves for effortless parking brake applications. The front bearings offered by Raybestos are rust and corrosion resistant, reducing most of the maintenance you’d otherwise have to get done if they weren’t included.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What are the best brake rotors?
Now, I don’t recommend this because I think that with proper maintenance, the rotors should absolutely last the lifetime of the car. However, because that isn’t always the case, I recommend this aftermarket brake rotor from PowerStop.
If you need them, PowerStop is the place to get brake rotors. You can be confident that they will be of high quality as a bunch of professionals with various skill levels have designed and tried them out and they are known to have an excellent track record for performance and durability.
If you want more user reviews on the PowerStop Disc Brake Rotors, there are some available on Amazon.
Are drilled brake rotors better?
Drilled brake rotors are better for several reasons.
First is weight, which plays a considerable role. The drilled disks are significantly lighter. More often than not, a performance upgrade will raise the weight and therefore the inertia of a component. Drilled rotors, as you can imagine, weigh significantly less. There is nothing about drilling a rotor that makes it heavier; in fact, it can be quite the opposite.
Next is the issue of brake fade. The drilled rotors reduce brake fade and the occurrence of hot spots on the rotor surface which result in uneven wear. Rotor fade from a sudden huge negative G-force (such as would be encountered when dragging the brake) is reduced.
Are DuraGo rotors any good?
I have a set on my truck, and I love them. Honestly, I was skeptical as I was putting them on, but they've been awesome. They look great, and I haven't had a single issue with them on either my truck or my wife's car. Plus, if you take care of them (wash and lubricate regularly), they'll last a long, long time.
Is there a difference in brake rotors?
As with most components on a car, there is a difference between low-quality brake rotors and high-quality ones. High quality brake rotors will last longer, perform better, and are less prone to defects.
The number one difference between high-quality and low-quality brake rotors is brand. Even if you can find some low-quality Rotors online for a great price, it’s still better to spend a few bucks extra for the high-quality brand, because it will ultimately save you money in the long run. The two brands you can’t go wrong with are Raybestos and Power Stop; they are both high quality and relatively inexpensive. If you’re looking for the absolute highest quality rotors, you can always try MagnaFlow, but they can be expensive.
Brake rotors are the key to better braking on your vehicle. Learn more about your options here on this page, and decide for yourself which brand of brake rotors and pads will get you the best value for your dollar. Don’t miss out on this opportunity to save a ton of money on your car repairs and replacements. This is a great time to get a deal on quality parts.
|Raybestos 680404R Professional Grade Disc Brake Rotor||Best Overall|
|DuraGo BR901100 Rear Solid Brake Rotor||Budget Pick|
|Power Stop K2070 Front & Rear Brake Kit||Upgrade Pick|