I always get asked about road flares, reflective trim, and reflective tape. The most common use people want them for is for safety.
These are things you can put on wheels, trailers, ATV’s and other equipment to make them more visible.
I’ve included some of the best products below.
There are two main groups of these products; the flairs and the reflective tape. Another common thing people want them for is for signaling. For instance, on a certain kind of hunt, you need to shine a bright light to attract a lion.
Many modern vehicles are using LEDs to signal. The problem is they are expensive and many people don’t want to have to buy a whole new set of lights. The alternative is to add a bunch of flairs and reflective tape to their current lights or one that they already have.
My favorite method to go is to use the reflective tape because it doesn’t take up as much room. I believe that it is better than the flairs because you can put it in your low-riding side mirrors and on your trailer without having to worry about it falling off.
|MARCALA LED Road Flares 6-Pack||Best Overall|
|Life Gear LED Emergency Road Flares 3-Pack||Budget Pick|
|SpeedTech Lights 6 Pack of Rechargeable 16 LED Red Disc Warning Beacon Emergency Road Flares||Upgrade Pick|
1. MARCALA LED Road Flares 6-Pack
- Lots of safety features
- Clear instructions
- Bright lights
- Easy to use
The MARCALA Road Cones give you six bright and sturdy flares in the kit.
These road flares come with flashing lights and are high quality.
Just by looking at the shape alone, you can tell these are high-quality.
2. HOKENA LED Road Flares Emergency Lights
- Driver irritation warning safety lighting
- Lights up instantly, flash 150 x / minute
- Super bright, long lasting
- 3 light modes
- Easy to install and remove
- Heavy duty yet rugged
- Includes a seatbelt cutter tool
- Eco-friendly and cost effective
- Includes a car charger adapter and holder
- Attached lanyard ring and clamp for safe keeping
- No instructions for the seatbelt cutter
- The lanyard ring may get hot when charging
3. CICMOD LED Road Flares Flashing Emergency Signal Warning Lights
- When it comes to trying to find the best road flares, you’re going to want to go with an LED product as they’re going to be brighter than the old school alternatives.
These Road Flares from CICMOD feature a 360 degree swivel, and are able to blink in any direction. This is great whether you’re trying to get the attention of a passing vehicle or you’re looking to alert passersby that you need help.
Because of a product warning, I’m a little weary of the safety of these flashing lights. However, CICMOD has made changes to it to make it safer, so I’d recommend giving them a try to see if they’re the right setup for your biking needs.
Another cool feature is the 30 various modes that these lights come with.
4. SlimK LED Road Flares Safety Flashing Warning Light Roadside Flare Emergency Discs Beacon
- Excellent warning lighting system.
- Slim, compact, and portable.
- Does not use the burnt fire in the air to provide light, therefore it won’t cause pollution in the environment.
- Comes with 3-flares and 3 sets of batteries.
- Can be easily mounted on bikes, cars, helmets, and other places.
- The button is on the back side.
- Is not for using when the car is broken.
- Does not have strobe functions.
- It might not be durable enough for both cold and hot climate.
5. Yandu LED Road Flares
- Comes as a set of 6
- These flashers can go for a long period of time without recharging
- Love the 3 modes of flash patterns
- Perfect for the back of my trailer
- Rechargeable batteries in each flare with magnetic bases
- However, it is smaller than expected
- Does not come with instructions
6. ORION Safety Products
- If you’re wondering, ‘which is the best road flare?’ then read on.
Road flares are an extremely useful piece of kit, particularly for emergency situations and locations that are off the grid. When you need a quick fix, road flares can help you get back on track. They’re also a vital tool for truckers and other forms of heavy and commercial transportation.
I’d recommend keeping a couple of paved flares in an easily accessible location. If you’re worried about having to lie down on the ground to strike the flare against the pavement all you need is an old can with a sturdy lid, and a rock to strike the flare with. Be sure to keep these in your car at all times, especially if you live in an isolated area.
Although road flares are used in many scenarios, there are two of the most common uses for these devices. First, road flares are used to inform passing motorists or emergency services that you’re in need of assistance. Second, road flares are used to slow down or stop passing motorists in order to avoid collisions or because you need to fix your car somewhere in the middle of the street.
7. LED Road Safety Flare Roadside Warning Safety Flare Kit
- Plenty of Safety Features
- Budget Friendly
- Packed with safety flares
- Extra precautions taken
- 4 Beacon Disc pack
- Greater distances
- Might be too sensitive for larger vehicles (trucks)
- Might be less sensitive for vehicles too close
The LED Road Flare Kit Premium Roadside Safely Kit and 4x Beacon Discs allows for the further distance of the lights shining / flashing.
The 4x beacon flares disc are set in an array which means that all the discs flash simultaneously to create a greater visual impact (320 degrees) and take extra precaution.
These safety flares light up the road for extra safety for motorists, cyclists, pedestrians.
8. WISLIGHT LED Emergency Roadside Flashing Flares Safety Strobe Light
- Inexpensive compared to other similar Safety Flares on the market
- The bright light is highly visible, especially at night
- Durable, well made
- Help you to protect yourself from being hit by a car
- Innovative design
- Flexible, durable and collapsible
- Long lasting battery
- Easy to attach to any types of vehicles or bikes
- It can't be used in rain
- The magnetic base needs a certain area on a car door or trunk to work optimally, otherwise it isn't tight and secure.
- It is not waterproof
WisLight Magnetic Road Safety Flashing Strobe Light.
9. 2 LED Emergency Road Flares Red Roadside Beacon Safety Strobe Light Warning Signal Alert Magnetic Base and Upright Stand in Solid Storage case
- Great Price
- Easily Attaches To Your Car
- Weather Resistance Case
- Bright/Visibility to 100M
- Small Size (1.9×1.9×3.75″)
- If You Drive Fast
For just a few bucks you can get a pair of these great road flares and never get stuck on the road again.
10. Rechargeable LED Road Flares
- Flashes fast
- Bright LED lights
- Made from sturdy material
- Magnetic mount
- 12 month no-hassle warranty
- Comes with 3 units
- Batteries included
- Some units might not work
- No on/off switch
Some people like to be prepared for the unimaginable, whether it be a car breakdown, a flat tire, or a collision. Having a warning system like this one will allow you and your passengers to call out for help without the worry of landline reception.
This set of LED road flares includes reflective lights that last for approximately 50,000 hours.
The durable magnetic base makes it great for indoor or outdoor use.
11. MARCALA 2020 Roadside Safety Discs
- Great new safety feature
- Includes a whistle
- Very sparkly
- Made of high-quality plastic
- May not fit all gas tanks
- Batteries don’t last as long as hoped
- One reviewer had issues with his LED
Gas tanks are often hard to reach when you’re changing a flat tire. The MARCALA¨ Roadside Safety Disc appears to be the perfect solution, as it has a convenient escape hatch on the top of it that allows you to safely light your tires as you ride in the dark.
For those of you who don’t know, safety discs are emergency road flares that produce much more light than a standard flare. They’re designed to be attached to your bike’s frame so that you can use them much more easily than a standard flare.
Safety discs are designed to last for five minutes, which is more than enough time to organize your roadside assistance, should you need it.
12. Heliar LED Road Flares Emergency Disc Roadside Safety Light Flashing Road Beacon
- Great for running safety
- Fairly easy to install
- Reliable waterproofing capability
- Additional mounting piece included
- Decently bright
- Sturdy construction
- Easy to get battery in and out
- 6-month warranty
- Doesn’t come with batteries
- Plastic body
- Lightweight, small and easy to misplace or lose
- Brightness isn’t adjustable
13. Twinkle Star Emergency Roadside Flares Kit LED Safety Strobe Road Warning Light Highway Beacon Alert Flare
- Simple button operation
- Compact size
- Cute design
- USB rechargeable
- Powerful LED light
- Sturdy built-in magnet for easy mounting
- Rugged design
- Great value for the price
- Contains multiple flashing modes
- Comes with a storage pouch
- The strobe light is very bright and might be a safety hazard if used incorrectly
- Might not last too long if used regularly
- Instructions could be better
These road flares from Twinkle Star are simple and super easy to use with just one button to operate the light which has varying modes and flash frequency options. The base is capable of sticking to your car via a magnetic mount and has a detachable stand which can be used as an effective light source as well. It’s also rechargeable via USB, which gives it some serious points in my book.
The Twinkle Stars come with a rugged case that has some padding so you could take it along in your next excursion to the woods or camping trip to have some light at night. The case can be attached to a backpack or a car or boat trunk with a sturdy belt that can be tightened or loosened via Velcro. If I had to complain about anything, it would be that the instructions are too basic and could be clearer.
14. Gear Gurus LED Road Flares Kit
- Long lasting magnetic base (if installed correctly)
- Functions even while on the road
- Instant, bright, eye-catching light
- Raised reflector for maximum visibility
- Easy to set up
- Made from high-quality material
15. 6-Pack Roadside Safety Discs
- Includes 6 road flares – 3 red, 2 white and 1 yellow
- Contains real 3-AAA batteries which are included
- 12-month warranty
SUV, Motorcycle, Tow Truck, RV, 4 Wheelers and Much More.
As far as road flares go, the 6-pack Roadside Safety Discs, LED Road Flares with Safety Hammer, Batteries and Storage Bag included, Flare Kit Emergency for Vehicles, Truck, Car, SUV, Motorcycle, Tow Truck, RV, 4 Wheelers and Much More is one of the best options available for a few reasons.
First, these are super convenient. They come in their own storage pouch that has a pocket for your flares, steel hammer, AAA batteries and instructions. There is also a Velcro strap to keep everything together so you can easily store the in your trunk, glove compartment, or other storage areas.
16. Tobfit 12 Pack LED Road Flares Emergency Lights Roadside Safety Beacon Disc Flashing Warning Flare Kit
- Durable battery
- Bright LEDS
- Several flashing modes
- 6 inches wide
- Can sync improperly
- Battery can wear out
The Tobfit Road Flares are a set of 12 LED emergency lights. The lights have several flashing modes and are bright enough to make you visible to your surroundings.
The battery life is enough to be used for a long time. Once the battery wears out, you can replace it with the spare battery pack and use it for another long time period.
The lights are durable and can withstand a lot of issues. They are waterproof, and can be used in any weather conditions
17. Stonepoint Emergency LED Road Flare Kit
- If you need the best emergency road flares, there’s no better than this one.
The Stonepoint Emergency LED Road Flare Kit is a set of super bright LED Roadside Beacons with Magnetic Base. When activated, the Stonepoint Road Flare Kit will emit a flashing or steady red light, visible up to 2 miles away. The kit includes three Road Flare Beacons and a storage bag.
Although it’s not much of a road side emergency product, it’s perfect for anything related to emergencies such as for car mechanic, electrician, plumber, or for emergency kits.
18. Michelin ML410 Visibility LED Road Flare Emergency Light Yellow
- Really helped alert drivers to oncoming cyclists.
- Prongs to mount on to your bike, boots, waist pack, keys, or just hold in your hand.
- 4AA batteries last a minimum of 50 hours on steady.
- Prohibitive (star-less) :
- Not the brightest blinking light we have ever owned as the light is white and not bright enough alone to give drivers enough time to stop at night.
19. Aervoe 1165 Single Super Road Flare
- Visible up to 2 miles
- 24 super bright LEDs
- Battery lasts up to 100 hours
- Magnet for attaching to metallic surfaces
- 15-foot wire
- 6-year shelf life
- Easy installation
- Slim and lightweight
- Can stick anywhere on your car (including the bumper)
- Not visible in the day
- No strobe
- Instructions don’t tell you how to replace the battery
The Aervoe 1165 is an excellent road flare offering many features that you won’t find in other models. It is available at a very reasonable price making it a very smart buy.
20. Life Gear LED Emergency Road Flares 3-Pack
- Military grade durability
- Easy to carry
- Used as distress lights
- Used as safety lights
- Can use them to communicate
21. ABN Portable 16 LED Safety Flare Signal Light
- Lightweight and compact flares
- Great distance for its size
- Easy to operate, just pull out the safety flag
- 9 flashing modes
- Could break if submerged in water
- Caution sticker can be hard to read in some light settings
300 Lumens Red LED Flashing Hazard Light,Super Bright Portable Work Vehicle Taillight Lamp for Security Warning,Car,Motorcycle,Bicycle,Camping.
22. Boundery LED Road Flares Emergency Light Set
- An inexpensive safety measure
- Can be used as an emergency light
- Very portable
- High lumen output
Road flares are incredibly useful in the event that you have a flat tire or a mechanical mishap on the side of a road. Let’s take a look at some of the best road flares for your car, motorcycle or boat.
Roadflare is a safety sticker that can be used in case of an emergency. It can be stuck behind your license plate or fish-hooked onto a seatbelt or a backpack strap, etc.
Roadflare comes in tow sizes:
- No batteries required
- Bright enough for daytime use
- Can be placed on a car, cart, or bike
- Easy to attach to any object
Road flares are a cheap way to get help when you find yourself stranded on the side of the road at night or during a severe storm. There’s nothing worse than getting stuck out in the middle of nowhere, and you’re going to want to make a point of keeping at least a few of these flares ta red that you always have some with you, especially during the winter months or during hurricane season.
These can also be a helpful safety device for college students who live off campus and often find that they’re walking home alone in the middle of the night when the weather gets worse. These are really affordable and small flares that you can easily fit inside your backpack or even in your car for any emergencies that might arise.
Though they’re not super bright, they’re plenty bright enough to get someone’s attention or to warn other drivers that something is wrong so hopefully you won’t need to use them often.
24. StarFlare LED Road Flares Emergency Disc Safety Light Flashing Roadside Beacon
- Waterproof and weatherproof
- Versatile for multiple purposes
- Reduces your risk of accidents
- Comes in a 3-pack
- Excellent value for the money
- Catch people’s attention and alert them to your presence
- Can increase your safety
- Durable design
- The brightness level can’t be adjusted
- The on/off button is a bit hard to reach
The StarFlare LED Road Flares are emergency road flares that can improve your safety significantly.
These road flares are long lasting, economic and lightweight. They’re perfect for those looking for a simple solution to making their vehicles more visible to others in low-visibility road conditions and poor light.
They’re made of high quality plastic material. They’re waterproof, shockproof and weatherproof so you can rest assured that they’ll last a long time.
25. KYNG LED Road Flares 3-Pack Includes Duracell Batteries
- Battery included
- Good feedback
- Might not be bright enough
- Not Waterproof
Red/Blk/Yellow/Green, Which Will Flashing, Warning To Drivers.
26. Wagan EL2639-3 The Original FRED Flashing Roadside Emergency Disc LED Flare,
- Collapsible for easy storage
- Slow to charge
- Must be charged for 24 hours before first use
When it comes to road flares, you’ve got 3 types of options. The first is super expensive and bulky. The second is cheap and can be used in the rain, but don’t work as well when exposed to sunlight. The third option is the ones that I’ll be highlighting in this section.
These are the Wagan EL2639-3 The Original FRED Flashing Roadside Emergency Disc LED Flares. These don’t cost much, so basically anyone could afford to have a few of them lying around at home.
Each of the Wagan road flares has 12 LED lights that can be charged by using the solar panel. The panel can be exposed to the sun anywhere from 10-20 hours of sun, and you should be able to get at least 20-25 flashes from it.
27. SpeedTech Lights 6 Pack of Rechargeable 16 LED Red Disc Warning Beacon Emergency Road Flares
- Easy to Carry
Speed tech has created a versatile and highly visible disc safety light that features up to 6 hours of continuous run time when used with two AAA batteries.
It has a powerful LED light that will help you blend in with the vehicles in front of you. Driving behind a car like this will help alert drivers behind you that you need to slow down.
Whenever you park your car with it’s lights left on, this will make your car glow brightly. This way, even if your car is parked in a dark spot, you don’t have to worry about thieves. They’ll see your car from far away and not even think of trying to break in.
28. FlareAlert LED Beacon Road Flare
- Dual arm/leg band to keep device secured
- Brand new packaging
- Lifetime warranty
- Built in rechargeable battery
- Glowing red light
These RoadFlares by FlareAlert could easily be used as a safety light for runners, bikers or even in your car.
I like that the device comes with a dual arm/leg band so you can easily wear it when jogging, biking or doing some other activity similar to these. Having the device securely on your leg instead of your pocket means you won’t need to worry about it falling or disappearing during your jog.
The red color is much brighter than the standard light an LED gives off so it definitely makes you more visible. It’s also easy to attach on your bike or run with as it slides on easily to a shoe, wrist or bike.
29. Sunsbell LED Road Flare LED Safety Flare Flashing Warning Light Roadside Flares Emergency Disc Beacon Red Light
- Waterproof housing and removable battery
- Non-corroding material at any condition
- Extremely durable and tough
- Not very bright for the money
- Individual LEDs don’t work properly most of the time
- Low quality control standards
- Can be difficult to mount them
The overall design and features of the Sunspbell Road Flare LED Safety Flares Driveway Sidespark Flashing Warning Light Roadside Flares Emergency Disc Beacon Red Light are very impressive, however, there are a few reasons why we didn’t include it as one of the best emergency flares for 2018.
For one, the Sunspbell red flares are very hard to mount on the ground and their brightness is also quite low. This is important when searching for the best emergency flares to be used in your vehicle or for roadside rescue.
Overall, the Sunspbell red flares may be a great fit for your needs, but we feel there are other emergency flares that will be able to perform better.
30. Securityman LED Road Flares
- Highly visible in all weather conditions
- Long life span
- Value Package
- Finish is rust resistant
- 3 year warranty
- Flares fail to illuminate in temperatures above 1088 degrees
- Flares are not visible at night
- Instructions are confusing
Road flares have been used to aid and warn drivers of hazards and accidents for years. They are right at the top of the list for securing your safety and alerting other motorists.
Road flares release a red glow to provide visibility, and they are constructed to last through all weather conditions.
This Securityman package comes with a vest, 3 red emergency flares, and a magnetic base for securing the flares. The vests are multi-colored to increase visibility.
31. NovelBee 6 Pack of 9 Flash Modes LED Road Warning Flares Emergency Light
- Magnetic base because it’s easy to use and operation, you do not need to use glue, nail, screws or other methods to hang them.
- Multi-purpose, not only for warning vehicles coming from behind, but also can be used as a decoration for Christmas, birthday, festival, outdoor activities, for garden yard and so on.
- Low power consumption, it uses AA batteries, convenient to replace.
- Very safe, with CE certification and FCC ID. It is green and environmental friendly.
- With hook, for easy carrying.
32. The Original Highway Flare Kit
- Very Bright Lights
- Compact Design
Are you the type of car driver who gets impatient easily? I know I am. That’s why I always make sure to keep a few The Original Highway Flares in my trunk just in case my back seat drivers get edgy when we have to slow down and wait in the carpool lane. They’re the best car flares in my opinion.
The Original Highway Flares are designed to replace the standard road flares, and they’re so much brighter and more comprehensive in terms of extras that will ease your driver anxiety while you wait for traffic to clear ahead. Apart from the standard road flare, there is a headlight flashlight, automobile window breaker, emergency siren, and a magnet for securing the flare to the vehicle.
At the very least, you can feel good knowing that you’ll be safe with these in your trunk. I would recommend getting these if you ever tend to drive in heavy traffic because it guarantees you won’t get stuck with your middle finger out.
33. MTB SUPPLY Roadside LED Flares Emergency Warning Light 6 Pack Flashing Warning Light
- Perfect for anyone who rides at night
- Lights up the whole area
- Can be used in the rain
- Doesn’t come with a charger
- Can’t be mounted on helmet
Nowadays, more cyclists choose to ride at night, and those who ride on paths tend not to have any reflective gear on their bicycles. This product is perfect for night riding. The lights also provide a great way to alert motorists that you are in the road.
The reusable emergency light can be used all the time, as a warning or as a way to alert other riders. The 12 bright LEDs produce an intense light that can be seen from up to 1000 feet away.
The lights can be seen during the day and during the night, as well as in the rain. If you end up on the ground after an accident, the light stays on so people can see you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the most effective type of flare?
There is also a fourth type of flare that has been designed. It actually goes by the name "Road Flare". They are a larger version of the flares that are designed for use on the freeway. It's basically a larger flare that is designed to be ignited in a larger, enclosed area. You can almost think of them as mini-cutters. You light them up, and they will burn for about 15 minutes. That gives you a lot of time to get off of the freeway and out of harm's way. If you're headed to a remote area, you may find these come in handy. They are a little heavier, but they are better designed, so they will help you stay safe.
How long can you keep road flares?
When you buy road flares for your car, they will usually have an expiration date; I’ve had them last for four years and still worked when I got into an accident in a snowstorm. However, they are made of many different chemicals, so I can’t give you a hard and fast answer.
Typically, they aren’t supposed to be kept in temperatures above 100°. If there are any signs of deterioration, break down, or discoloring, get rid of them immediately.
Keep them in a cool, dry place and out of direct sunlight. If the cap is stored in the car, try to keep it in a small bag or box to protect it from extreme temperatures.
Are road flares dangerous?
A lot of the worry is due to a misconception that flares are explosive. The carbide tip for each flare is the burning part; it does not explode or explode easily. The metal casing containing the flare and attached handle are almost always the only part that will cause injury if the flare is accidentally triggered.
It’s also worth noting that most flares are made to put out their flame once activated.
If your car breaks down and you need to call for help by using a flare, you should not experience any physical harm if you follow the manufacturerʼs directions.
Can road flares burn underwater?
I added this question to cover situations when one is unable to get out of the water. One may want to avoid nearby traffic, and if you have watercraft, then water safety should be considered.
Floating in water is a very dangerous position to be in, and the possibility of watercraft colliding down onto you is high. If you don’t take precautions to minimize the danger, then you may be a statistic.
When it comes to road flares, you want a product that will make the grade in every situation. That means a product that works no matter what angle you're coming from, and one that offers more features than you'll know what to do with. We can help you out with all of that. We've got a review of what we think are the best road flares you can buy.
|MARCALA LED Road Flares 6-Pack||Best Overall|
|Life Gear LED Emergency Road Flares 3-Pack||Budget Pick|
|SpeedTech Lights 6 Pack of Rechargeable 16 LED Red Disc Warning Beacon Emergency Road Flares||Upgrade Pick|