A good throwing knife is one of the most versatile tools a hunter can have. While it can be used to quarter and process game, as well as for general camping, self-defense and survival uses, it can also be used as a melee weapon in a pinch. A well-built throwing knife is sturdy, lightweight and curved enough to stick in any game that walks on four legs.
But it’s not always easy to choose the perfect knife from the hundreds of models that are currently on the market. In fact, most novice throwers don’t know that they can’t simply go out, pick up a “Survival Knife” at their local Walmart, and then go play Rambo out in the field. In order to achieve the best possible throwing results, a certain amount of weapon-specific training and practice is required.
|Expendables Kunai 3 Piece Thrower Set||Best Overall|
|Pakistan PA3072-BRK Little Arrow Throwing Knives||Budget Pick|
|Spyderco SpyderThrowers||Upgrade Pick|
1. Expendables Kunai 3 Piece Thrower Set
- Smooth, accurate stick
- Comfortable felt-like handle
- Impressive safety sheathes
- Seemingly indestructible
- Great for training throwing
- Made in the USA
- Have 8.5 inches of sharpened blade
- Perfect to get started in the sport of real knife throwing
- Overall beautiful design of the set
- Lightweight and compact
- The thin black strip of leather holding the handle feels cheap.
2. Aeroblades 6" 3 Pcs Set Skull Head Throwing Knife
- The blades are sharp and dependable
- They are not too big for kids
- The blades are lightweight
- The weight is distributed evenly
- These knives are cheap compared to others
- They give you accurate throws
- The knives have high quality
- It is hard to make good throws
- The knives lack coordination and speed
If you’re looking for some effective throwing knives, then you might find the Aeroblades 6 inch 3-piece throwing knife set good to use.
The knives are wrapped with a penetrating rubber grip that allows users to use them with the right balance, accuracy, stability, and control.
Aeroblades gives you affordable throwing knives and you can use the knives with a target board for practice. Also, it is necessary to wear safety goggles while using them.
3. SZCO Supplies Heavy Throwing Knife Set
- Great value for your money
- Look great
- Very lightweight
- Has a nylon holster
- Sharpness on par with top brands
- Very poor durability
- Not the best for handling
- or Cheap
ArmorAll Dual-Surface Microfiber Towel, 16 by 16 Inches, Blue (Pack of 3).
What is a microfiber cloth? It is the most important tool in any detailer’s garage. Each towel is made of millions of fibrous strands, so it can’t scratch or leave lint behind, yet it can hold tons of water.
4. Smith & Wesson SWTK8CP Six 8in Stainless Steel Throwing Knives Set
- Included leather sheath with belt loop.
- Makes a great gift.
- Very sharp.
- Made with stainless steel.
- Too lightweight for throwing.
- Not a factor with the benefit of the tools.
- Knives can break easily if you aren’t careful.
- The suede pouch quickly loses its elasticity.
This knife set is a great pick. It is very rugged, yet light enough for beginners. You must be very careful when using it, as it is possible to break any or all of the blades. While most knife throwing sets have two or three knives, this one offers eight.
From my experience, most sets come with one to three knives, with four being the most common number so six knives is a great deal. This is very helpful for training, as it allows you to work on your accuracy and improve on your aim effectively.
These are very sharp, and are excellent knives for intended use. The grip is comfortable, and the handle can be used to improve your grip and improve your aim.
5. Smith & Wesson SWTK8BCP Three 8in Stainless Steel Throwing Knives Set
- They are sharp and easy to grip
- They are lightweight
- They are affordable
- They are stable
- They are durable
- They can be thrown at different targets
- They are nontoxic
- They can be used outside
- They are easy to clean
- They are easy to grip
- They are not suitable for children
- They are suitable for people over the age of 18
6. SOG Throwing Knives
- Full tang for added durability
- Black TiNi finish helps prevent scratching
- Very lightweight, which is great for throwing and for carrying around
- Comes with a protective sheath
- Ergonomic design for comfort and performance
- Beautiful design
- Maximum edge retention
- Excessive use can dull the blade
- Leather sheath can cause rust
SOG is one of the leading manufacturers of high-quality tactical, military, and outdoor gear, and their Throwing Knives are definitely their best piece of gear.
Like everything else SOG makes, these throwing knives are built tough to survive any scenario. All three of the throwing knives feature a full tang handle with a black TiNi finished grip that not only looks great but also resists scratches and corrosion.
The blades are made from SK5 high carbon Japanese steel with a black titanium nitrite finish that provides exceptional edge retention for when you need to get a lot of use out of your knives.
7. Smith & Wesson SWHRT9B 9in High Carbon S.S. Fixed Blade Knife
- Strong structural integrity
- Handle has a great rubberized finish
- Great feeling handle
- Perfect for training or everyday use
- Excellent weight
- Blade design is only okay
- Gets dull after a few months
The Smith & Wesson Rock Crawler handles well and doesn’t feel cheap. One person commented the grip is fantastic. The blade is 4.7 inches with a dual edge, which is a little on the long side and a little on the heavy side.
This blade is made out of high carbon steel. The handle is textured which makes the handle feel better in your hand.
After you throw the blade a few times, it does get a little dull, some say it dulls in just a few minutes.
8. Perfect Point RC-1793B Throwing Knife Set
- Best Genuine Leather Sheath
- Highest Quality Available
- Sharpened to Perfection
- Quality Design and Construction
- 11.24 Total Inches
- All-Purpose Foundations for Competition
- Crafted from High Carbon Steel
- Despite being High Quality Knives, if you are looking to throw them, you might find that these ones are a bit bulky.
I am very thrilled with this throwing knife set. It comes with a genuine leather sheath that is supposed to be used for training only. Nonetheless, I’m pretty happy that the sheath is something that is not toyish. The sheaths are for storage, and they are very sturdy and well made. The craftsmen who produced this set were kind enough to include three knives for better performance. The black blades go very well with the black handles.
The knives glide very easily on smooth surfaces. They have perfectly balanced handles, are less fragile, and more durable. You will find that these knives will come in handy for a variety of reasons. From sport to self-defense, you will definitely appreciate the kind of design and the quality of workmanship used to make these knives.
9. 12 Pc 6" Ninja Hunting Tactical Combat Kunai Throwing Knife Set + Case
- Great for beginner and technical throws
- Very sharp
Our budget-friendly pick on the list of the best throwing knives is from Cold Steel!
The Tanto Tip is super sharp right out of the box. Thanks to its stainless steel design, you can put it through a lot of punishment without it ever becoming dull.
The ergonomic handle gives you peace of mind as it stays comfortable even at maximum speed. These throwing knives are also not too heavy, so you can have them with you wherever you go.
10. Smith & Wesson SWTK10CP Three 10in Stainless Steel Throwing Knives Set
- Durable knives
- Doesn’t chip easily
- Perfect for beginners
- Very sharp
- Very flexible
- Somewhat light
- May make noise
11. QEONIX Cold Steel 9733 80PGTK GI Tanto 7" Carbon
- Stainless steel with black finish
- Very durable
- Very sharp
- Doesn’t hurt to throw them
- Cheap for what you get
- Covered by lifetime warranty
- Comfortable grip
- Some say they’re too heavy for throwing
- Not too many different knife colors
Quality Eonix makes a top-notch throwing knife that’s made of stainless steel with a blade that measures 7 inches and only weighs 0.8 ounces.
They’re very sharp and durable and feature a black stainless steel blade and handle design. The sharp blade gets the highest rating of 5 stars.
The fixed-blade has a black finish and features a comfortable rubber grip. It doesn’t hurt to throw them, and you can pick them up for a bargain price. They’re covered by a lifetime warranty.
12. Gil Hibben Competition Triple Thrower Set
- Sturdy, well-balanced design
- Full Tang Construction
- Easy to Grip
- Beautiful Finish
- Extremely Sharp
- Must be cleaned after each use
Bladed throwing has steadily grown in popularity. Once limited to throwing knives, many today are practicing their aim with tomahawks and other blade-throwing weapons.
The Gil Hibben Competition Triple Thrower Set comes with a stylish black sheath. The blades remain secured in the sheath via a stainless steel loop and clip-on strap.
This 3-knife set is orange, blue and black, respectively. Each of the knives in the Gil Hibben Competition Triple Thrower Set is well-balanced. They feature perfectly balanced full tang construction. The blades and handles are securely fitted for added strength.
13. Perfect Point PP-595-6MC Throwers
- Bright Colors
- Low Cost
- Great For Beginners And Experts
- Good For Throwing Practice
- Easy To Throw
- Good Grip
- Low Quality
- Might Chip (Not For Heavy Use)
- Poor Point (Not For Hunting)
One of the best throwing knives to go with is the Perfect Point PP-595-6MC Throwers. These throwing knives are really cheap and will give you a great deal for your money.
Throwing knives are the ideal training tools for learning how to throw. This set of throwing knives is made from high grade polypropylene and steel.
They have a weight of just 3.5 oz. apiece and fit perfectly into the standard throwing knife sheath. This is going to be a great gift to give someone who is looking to take up the sport but doesn’t want to break the bank.
14. Aeroblades 6PC 5.5" Throwing Knife Set
- High quality
- Affordable price
- Smooth and balanced
- Throw them almost 75 feet
If you are looking for the best throwing knives that are reasonably priced then the Aeroblades 6PC 5.5" Throwing Knife Set is the best set for you.
The aeroblades have knives that can slice a target to pieces. They are high quality, made from lightweight material and are extremely slim and lightweight.
The Aeroblades knives, regardless of their quality, carry a much lower price than other major brands. So if you are thinking of getting high quality knives then this is a great place to start.
15. Cold Steel Sure Flight Sport
- Love the design
- Come with a carrying case
- The knives are well-priced
- Great addition to a survival or camping kit
- Very accurate
- Reasonably sturdy
- They’re well-balanced and don’t become off balance when thrown
- Extremely sharp out of the box
- Customers like the easy-carrying case
- Great survival knife
- Customers who have used it for throwing say the knives need to be sharpened.
- If you’re not experienced with throwing knives, you may need a few tries until you get the hang of the throws.
- Not a good knife for beginners
This set comes with four knives that are excellent for throwing and that fit into a nice carry bag. The set contains three knives of varying sizes and design. All four of the knives are notched on the back for easy removal, so you’ll be able to easily take them out and carry them in the protective carry sheath.
Even though the handles are made of plastic, they’re able to throw accurately and are surprisingly sturdy, something that most customers really appreciate.
16. 9 1/2 " Metal Ninja Kunai Throwing knife
- Very well balanced
- High quality construction
- Pointed tip
- Fits most throwing stars
- Good grip
- Reasonable price
- Cuts well
- No metal bend from use
- No split points
It is really hard to find any cons for this product. There is a very light discoloration (slight patina) after about 200 throws.
17. 11" Spikey Metal Ninja Throwing knife
- Safe and sharp
- Knife sheath included
- Very cheap, high value
18. Ash TKF-101 Set of 3 Handmade Throwing Knife 440c Steel 11"
- Easy to master
The Ash TKF-101 is well-balanced and durable. It’s 11.5” overall with an 8.25” sharpened 440c stainless steel blade. It weighs 1.2 pounds.
This throwing knife stays sharp and doesn’t go dull. It’s perfect for practice or an expert throwing a quick game. It’s easy to master and very forgiving.
We love that this set is portable and comes with a carrying bag. The knives are perfectly balanced and made from quality 440 steel.
19. Under Control Tactical Best Throwing Knives
- Throwing Knives Set
- Full tang construction, stainless steel blades with dipped green handles with zinc alloy guards
- Hacksaw Edge Blades with black polypropylene handles
- Includes a portable and reinforced nylon sheath with belt loop size, and screws for easy install
- Includes a set of 6 throwing knives
All-in-all, these are all quality throwing knives.
With a little bit of practice, you could be throwing your throwing knife in the air and back before it hits the ground.
Don’t worry if you are not expert thrower, it took me a long time to get good. Now I can hit a target of just about any size in any situation.
20. SZCO Supplies Double Throwing Knives
- Efficient and reliable
- Include wrist strap
- Includes sheath
- Includes pipe wrench
- Varying prices
A favorite among campers or survivalists, throwing knives are knives with long handles that are intended for accurate throwing. They come in various shapes and sizes, but essentially the perfect throwing knife should be thin and lightweight.
These are the best throwing knives from SZCO Supplies. There are a total of two knives in this set, and the blade dimensions are 2.39 x 0.6 x 0.1 inches and have a total length of 6.3 inches long.
The weighted handles are made from aircraft-grade aluminum. These knives are CNC machine cut, hand-finished, and then bead blasted and anodized to produce a durable finish. Both knives in this set weigh only 6 ounces.
21. KA-BAR Throwing Knife Set
- Sharp, stainless steel blade
- Wide range of handle lengths for all size hands
- Compact and lightweight, easily stored
- Cushioned handle for comfort
- Great Grip
- Blade can stick in a wooden block up to 18 inches
- Comes with a nice hard leather sheath
- Good quality knife for price
22. Aeroblades 3 Pcs Set Dragon Etched Throwing Knife
- Great for both beginners and experienced throwers
- Fits in multiple types of throws
- Lightweight and easy to use
- Very Sharp and durable
- Affordable price
- Blade and handle are not made with stainless steel, Durability is questionable
- Blade handle loosen up after a few throwing sessions
- It is more challenging to re-sharpen.
If you are looking for a throwing knife with no fuss and easy to pick up, then the Aeroblades 3 pcs set throwing knife from Aeroblades could be the one for you.
The Aeroblades 3 pcs set throwing knife could be a great weapon for both new and high-level throwers. It is light enough for newbie throwers which allow them to easily throw the knives without requiring too much skill. However, for veteran throwers, the 3 pcs set throwing knife is still a formidable throwing weapon.
The Aeroblades 3 pcs set throwing knife comes with a small, medium and a large size, which fits into different types of throwing styles.
23. Kershaw Ion Throwing Knife Set
- Very cheap price
- Maximum blade design
- Very comfortable and durable
- It comes in a nylon sheath
- It is 4 ounces in weight
- It has razor-sharp, three Fine 4 double-edged spearpoint blades made out of 3Cr13 steel, and the blade length is 4.5 inches.
- These are the things that people who love to throw it do not know about kershaw ion throwing knife set.
- he shipping fee
For those interested in giving throwing knives a try, this is a great starter set. The price is right and it’s a very cool and unique way to turn some old bottles into sharp-edged projectiles.
This package contains a set of 3 throwing knives that have a black oxide finish and accented paracord wrapped handles.
Anything thrown can be dangerous, that’s why you should look for any sharp edge or edge parts that constitute danger.
24. Perfect Point PP-598-3 Series Throwing Knife Set
- Variety of styles – 5 blades per set
- Affordable – You can get this amazing set of throwing knives at an amazingly affordable price
- Quality Product – This throwing knife set is made from really high quality material.
- Amazing Design – The design of the knife is what makes this product stand out from the rest.
- Quality Control – sometimes some of the blade sets don't come sharpened as expected.
- If you are looking for an amazing set of throwing knives then check out the Perfect Point PP-58-3 series throwing knives.
25. Rite Edge Three Piece Throwing Knife Set
- Smooth, well-balanced
- Sharp, durable
- Easy to grip
- Made using high quality steel
If you are looking for the best throwing knife kit, then the Rite Edge Three Piece Knife Set is probably the most suitable option for you. This knife set is made using high quality steel. This is great as it stops the knife from becoming dull.
This knife set includes a warranty that it can be used for throwing. Hence, you can’t really go wrong here.
The cool thing about the Rite Edge Three Piece Knife Set is that it’s made for throwing purpose. So, don’t expect it to be a good cutter. You may want to use a kitchen knife for cutting.
26. Throwing Knives Fixed Blade
- Includes a sheath
- Three blade choices
- Easy to sharpen
- Fits well in hand
- Only one color option
- Very small
Throwing knives are a lot of fun to play with. They’re intended for combat and practice. There are different types with different designs that all have different uses.
Fixed blade knives are sharp around the entire edge of the blade. This makes them good for combat. Single thrower knives are good if you’re looking to get good at throwing. Their blades are shaped in way that allows them to rotate as they spin, allowing them to go straight again even after hitting a tree. The single thrower design makes them great for practicing.
I recommend a set of throwing knives for boys who are young. Keep them away from others as a safety measure until they learn how to throw them well.
27. SOG Fling Classic Throwing Knives Set
- Come in a set of 3 which is good value for money
- An excellent range of sizes (1, 2, and 3 inch blades)
- Very durable construction
- Great weight
- Cute teal paracord handle
- Excellent craftsmanship
Conclusion: The SOG Fling set of three throwing knives is well worth the investment. It’s an excellent starter set that should keep any budding knife thrower intrigued and engaged for a while.
We were impressed by the build quality and durability of the Fling. The blades and handles are strong. The paracord will stand up to plenty of training. Note that the paracord is actually wrapped around the steel blade, unlike other gloved knifes where the paracord is stuck on the handle. The handles are large and easy to grip. They’re also colored. How cool is that?
One thing that parents would appreciate is the fact that SOG designed the Fling as a softer thrower, so it’s not as dangerous to use around the house or in public places. This makes for more peace of mind when you practice throwing the Fling around the house.
28. Pakistan PA3072-BRK Little Arrow Throwing Knives
- Throwing distance can increase from 5 to 6 ft depending on the spin
- Great weight
- Very soft/flexible blade
- Designed for knives that are different in weight
- Can also be used for knife tricks
29. KA-BAR, ThunderHorse Thrower
- Beautiful designs
- Easy to carry for everyday use
- Ergonomic design
- Perfect for bird hunting as well as combat
- Foldable design for easy carry as well as storage
- Highly durable
30. Cold Steel Sure Balance Thrower
- Sets are packed with different weights
- Built from one piece of steel, so there’s no need for screws
- A good choice for knife throws and other martial arts techniques
- Comes with a training knife
- Includes a nylon belt sheath to carry and protect the knives
- They’re relatively inexpensive
- Great for competitions
- Razor sharp
- Can be used for target practice
- Can split apples, bottles, and milk jugs (and what not)
- Doesn’t come with a training video, so you’ll need to have some experience with throwing knives yourself
- The grips can loosen and may have to be tightened occasionally
- Doesn’t include any training info, so you either need to be experienced enough to teach yourself or learn from a friend who is
- Can damage the knives if you miss your target
- Have to be careful to avoid losing these knives
Cold Steel really knows what they are doing when it comes to knives. The purpose and design of these knives is to throw perfectly, time and time again without any effort.
31. Spyderco SpyderThrowers
- Set of throwing knives
- Perfect balance
- Good weight
- Three different sizes
- Sharp with a decent edge
This package comes with three throwing knives: a six-inch, four-inch, and a two-inch set. They’re all built from 8Cr13MoV stainless steel with a blade thickness of 1/8 inch and an overall length of 9 / 18 / 13 / / 18 / 13 inches.
These snap-style pocket knives all come with a durable construction that can stand up to your normal every day use, and they’re also razor sharp with a nice solid feel to them. This is especially true when it comes to the blade length and effectively gives you the range you need to toss these knives consistently well. Be sure to throw with caution, however – this kind of weapon takes skill and precision to properly throw.
32. Cold Steel Perfect Balance Thrower
- Real throwing knife for training
- Super heavy duty steel construction
- Perfect Balance
The Cold Steel Perfect Balance Thrower offers a level of realism and quality more commonly found in real throwing knives which is perfect for practice. It has a a satin finished, high carbon, 1095 steel blade that weighs 12.8 ounces, making it a powerful thrower.
This Cold Steel throwing knife is virtually indestructible and if it ever needs sharpening, you can do so using a standard sharpening stone. The handle is made from impact-resistant, injection molded nylon which has been ergonomically shaped to fit comfortably in your hand. The Perfect Balance Thrower comes with a hard plastic sheath for easy portability.
33. Cold Steel True Flight Thrower
- Solid blade for throwing
- Great edge retention
- Complicated to use
- Blade not very sharp out of the box
If you are in the market for the best throwing knives, look no further. The cold steel true flight thrower is lightweight, easy to throw, and incredibly sharp.
Cold Steel, a company located in California, has been producing high-quality throwing knives for many years. The True Flight Thrower is one of their most popular knives among experienced throwers who purchase their knives.
It is a classic throwing knife design. The blade, the grip and the handle are all basically one piece. The grip is good and it feels comfortable in the palm of the hand. It is also quite lightweight, which is a positive because lighter throwing knives tend to fly better than heavier throwing knives. The grip is also slightly tilted at about a 15 degree angle.
34. SZCO Supplies Throwing Knife Set
- Great high-quality feel to it
- Very sharp
- Fantastic price point
- Easy to practice tricks
- Easy to stow away
- Great Packaging
- They don’t have very sharp points
- They come with a cover that keeps them safe, but isn’t very functional
Full Tang Razor Sharp Stainless Steel, 440C Stainless Steel Blade.
The SZCO Supplies is a thrower’s best friend due to it’s razor sharp blade and great weight. The blade itself is also solid and double-edged, which adds to the overall weight. It also comes with a nice cover to keep your blades safe in.
This also make for an excellent gift for a novice or even a professional.
35. Miscellaneous SKTHROW7 Fixed Blade Throwing Knife Set
The ideal throwing knife will have a well-balanced build and solid steel. The best throwing knives will also feature a slip-resistant design and metal handle.
Sure, there are a few options that don’t incorporate these features, but you can’t go wrong with a classic.
My favorite thrower is the SKTHROW7 Knife Set.
36. 9" 440 Stainless Multi Colored Rainbow Tone Titanium Color Ninja Stealth Throwing Knife Set 3 PSC
- Non-scratch practice
- Blades come loose
Made from stainless steel, these 440 C rainbow tone throwing knives are just the thing you need if you’re looking for something light on your next hunting trip. Its design mimics that of Japanese throwing stars and is available in a number of colors. The curved shape allows for maximum aerodynamics during its flight. Furthermore, the ninjas are crafted with a weighted handle that gives you greater accuracy and stability while throwing. This set boasts a high quality construction and a lifetime safety guarantee. In spite of their light weight construction, each knife carries enough strength to cut through the hard bones of your game.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What throwing knives are best?
Many people ask what the best throwing knives are, and it depends on your particular needs. I have listed several of the top throwing knives I have found most popular and reviewed below.
Our Top Pick: Cold Steel Ultratech
I really like the Cold Steel Ultratech as it is sharp, has a thick blade, and takes an ultra deep plunge when thrown, making it a very accurate knife.
Runner Up: Gerber Bear Grylls Ultimate Serrated
If you like the Ultimate Survival Knife, the Serrated Ultimate Knife is the back up throwing knife.
Best Tactical Throwing Knife: United Cutlery UC29 13• Tactical Boot Knife
This knife doesn’t come as sharp as some of the other knives on the list, but if you’re looking for a tactical throwing knife, this is the one for you.
What makes a good throwing knife?
There are some factors to keep in mind before you purchase any throwing knife:
Thickness: The blades need to be thicker than normal knives in order to keep their shape when thrown.
Weight: The weight of the blade should be evenly distributed or as close as possible.
Brass tips: The tips should not be rounded and should have a rubber label to avoid slippage.
Handle: The handle should be about the same length as the blade, but not as long. You want to be able to grip it comfortably and hold onto it without needing to choke up on the blade.
Lima beans: Red is the traditional color for throwing knives and Boston beans works too.
Can a throwing knife kill?
If used properly, yes throwing knives can kill. Throwing knives are a great tool for hunting, utility, and for self-defense. A lot like a firearm, you are ultimately responsible for the use of a throwing knife and what happens when you use it.
Are Kunai good throwing knives?
Ninja Shuriken (throwing knives) are a popular choice of weapon for the Stealth—type characters in anime and video games. (Throwing clubs and sharp knifes also work well.) These include characters like Ino, Chouji, Leifang, and Raiden. When you play as them, you’ll want to equip yourself with a set of shuriken!
The most common ninja stars (shuriken) you will find are kunai. Kunai were originally designed to be used with just one hand as they were used with a rope to help the warrior pull it out of its target.
There is a difference between throwing knives and throwing stars. If you want to try your hand at throwing knives, learn more about their uses and designs before buying your first pair to avoid wasting your money. This guide will teach you the basics about throwing knives and describe what we think are the 5 most reliable products on the market today.
|Expendables Kunai 3 Piece Thrower Set||Best Overall|
|Pakistan PA3072-BRK Little Arrow Throwing Knives||Budget Pick|
|Spyderco SpyderThrowers||Upgrade Pick|